[Dixielandjazz] Alec Templeton was "a date with Benny

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri May 30 17:14:54 PDT 2003

Our Brit friends, Andy Ling and John Farrell mentioned Alec Templeton,
as the blind Brit piano player who wrote "Bach Goes to Town" in
connection with a Benny Goodman rendition of same.

Alec Templeton was a fine man, and and accomplished musician who also
enjoyed OKOM. In the 1950s, when I was the clarinetist for the
Southampton (Long Island USA) Dixie Racing and Clambake Society Jazz
Band, we were privileged to meet him.

We were playing a concert in Round Hill Connecticut and Templeton was in
the audience. At our break, he came up to say hello and compliment our
piano player, who asked him to sit in. He played a rousing rendition of
"Saints" with us, smiling all the while like the Cheshire Cat.

After the concert, he told us Louis & the All-Stars were playing a
concert in nearby Greenwich and if we hurried, we could catch the last
set. We followed his car & driver to the venue. Caught the last 5 tunes
and were all introduced to Pops by Templeton at the end of the concert.
What a great experience.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone