[Dixielandjazz] Dadaism

Rob McCallum rakmccallum at hotmail.com
Wed May 28 21:30:13 PDT 2003

Hi Bill and Listmates,

While agreeing that the dadaists were cynical, I don't think that, in its
historical context, it is, or was meant to be, trivial.  After all, they did
not desecrate the actual Mona Lisa.  The dadaists were, for the most part,
young men who survived the trenches and the gas of WWI and watched as their
homelands were pulverized over trivial power struggles.  To react cynically
is justifiable.  There were others who reacted in a much less cynical manner
(ex.  All Quiet on the Western Front).  I don't think that Dadaism attempts
to reduce "all human endeavor into trash," as has been suggested, but rather
to react to the absurdities of what was experienced at a particular point in
time, with an absurd gesture.  They were not the only ones disillusioned and
cynical in the late teens.  Wasn't the entire freestyle youth culture of
free love and alcohol of the 1920's and in which jazz blossomed, born of the
exact same issues (disillusionment after the war, the failure of the League
of Nations, a peace treaty that set the stage for more conflict, and the
suspicion that it was all in vain?).

All the best,

Rob McCallum