[Dixielandjazz] Coon-Sanders Fans Bash

Charlie Hooks charliehooks at earthlink.net
Tue May 20 00:20:29 PDT 2003

on 5/19/03 5:56 PM, Charles Coleman at charliew8fim at ncool.net wrote:

 At that event we all sang "Happy Birthday" to Wayne Jones who became a
septuagenarian Saturday.  Unfortunately, I can still call him "young man".

   Wayne Jones is "just a kid."  Hey!  I'm seventy four and I love the SOB!

   Good drummer.  Played with him on this band and that for thirty years.
Have never known the time to shift, to be confused, to vary in any respect.
First played with him on a Big Horn festival in Mundelien (north Chicago
area) back in 1974 on stage with the Soprano Summit plus Jerry Fuller.
Came off the stage feeling I'd found an anchor--like the tree planted by the
water: he could not be moved!   I walked along with him to the bar and said,
"Man, I really enjoyed your playing!  That Time was awesome.   It was what
we need!"

   I had the feeling that he was scanning me, crossways and up and down.
Was I serious or just jivin'?   Serious.  He decided I meant it and I did.
O.K.  We've been friends ever since.

By the way: he lives and thrives with a very fine woman who sings her a..
off:
a vocalist who swings hard---truth is, she does not know how NOT to swing:
Jackie Voss: to hear her is to love her.    Any of you bookers out there,
take my word for it: Jackie is a just-joyous singer-swinger: get her if you
can!  The audience is going to love her.

Charlie, the curmudgeon