[Dixielandjazz] Great Connecticut Jazz Festival, Guilford, CT

Jerry Gordon jerrygordon at juno.com
Sun May 18 00:52:13 PDT 2003

As far as I know, Charlie, it's still going strong. Just today, I sent
them an email about RV facilities for a friend and got a positive reply a
few hours later. Hot Steamed is a month earlier; it's hard to imagine
that it's really drawing away people. As you know, HS is a much smaller
festival and strictly "dixieland/trad" (whatever that means), whereas
GCJF has been getting more into swing, although there's still plenty of
"dixieland/trad."

Another east-coast festival we usually enjoy is Jersey Jazz Fest
(http://www.njjs.org/jazzfest2003.html), which tends to be more modern -
what I would call "mainstream" or "straight-ahead." I've always
complained that it's the same weekend as HS, but this year it's the week
before HS. And after all these years of bitching, it looks like we may
have to miss both because of other commitments!

Jerry Gordon, Troy, NY - Web master for
http://www.timesunion.com/communities/jazz