[Dixielandjazz] Re: comic book writers and artists as OKOM fans (was "The Cat")

david richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Wed May 14 11:27:01 PDT 2003

Many of the members of The Cheap Suit Serenaders
(http://www.timshome.com/css/cs_info.html) are "underground comix"
book artist/writers and avid collectors of early jazz, blues and other
OKOM records . Robert Crumb (Banjo and Vocals) is probably the most
well known, Bob Armstrong (saw, guitar) did the infamous "Mickey Rat"
comic book , Terry Zwigoff (saw, cello, Stroh fiddle, and mandolin) is
more film maker than cartoonist but he did the documentary about the
Crumb brothers and also "Ghost World" that was originally a comic book
written by Daniel Clowes. ("Ghost World"  features a character who is
an avid old jazz record collector. ) Harvey Pekar is a comix writer
(not illustrator) who is also a old jazz record collector. (His series
of books "American Splendor" is autobiographical and is often focused
on his collecting. "American Splendor" also has been made into a film
that will be released this summer.)

Another Cheap Suiter Allan Doge (ukes and other strings) is not a
cartoonist but I found this very interesting article about his interest
in early recorded Hawaiian music at
http://www.beerrecords.com/sfweekly.htm  (very much related to OKOM)

I met Daniel Clowes at a book signing a few months ago and asked him
about the connection between so many comic/comix artists and old record
collecting - he thought it may have something to do with a combination
of being a bit of an social outsider, interest in old things that can
be collected (like old comic books) and just coincidence.

Anyway,

Dave Richoux