[Dixielandjazz] Re: Sacramento stuff

Burt Wilson futurecon at earthlink.net
Tue May 13 00:20:46 PDT 2003

Dear listmates--

For any of you who wil be around Sacramento on Sunday, May 18th, my SILVER
DOLLAR JAZZ BAND will be playing from 11am to 4pm at the historic
Sloughhouse Inn. Come out an enjoy awonderful brunch or lunch and stay to
listen to the hot jazz. The SI is under new management and they have had a
policy of Country & Western Music and we are the first hot jazz band they
have engaged, so please come out an help us make it a great opening. If we
can prove that OKUM draws, they'll be more gigs. My hats off to the owners
for taking the plunge. The Sloughhouse Inn is about 15 miles out of
Sacramento on HiWay 16 (Jackson Road) on the way to Sutter Creek and
Jackson. We will be playing in a wonderful outdoor setting with a covered
band area on a huge deck overlooking the Consumnes River. Big market
umbrellas shade the tables on the deck. The food is great and the service
the best.

The Silver Dollar Jazz Band is Sacramento's oldest having been formed in
1955 as the first band to play in the first Shakey's Pizza Parlor at 57th
and Jay. Three of our members, Sugar Willie Erickson, John Robinson and
myself were all from the origianl band. Renard Perry, our trumpet man, was
in the 1962 edition of the SDJB at Shakey's and went from there to the Kid
Ory band in San Francisco. Frank Silva handles reeds, Jim Snoke blows tuba
and Trent Teague is filling in (and are we glad to have him!) on drums.

Burt Wilson
trombone