[Dixielandjazz] Bill Napier's passing

JimDBB at aol.com JimDBB at aol.com
Thu May 8 12:43:06 PDT 2003

I have read very little about Bill Napier's passing.  Surely someone knows
about his illness and situation.

Bill Napier was one of the all time great jazz clarinetists.  His superb
playing graced so many of Bob Scobey's fine recordings.

A few years back Bob Ringwald and I put together a Bob Scobey reunion band
for the LA Jazz Fest and Bill Napier was a part of it.  I hadn't seen him for
many years and it was wonderful to hear him as interesting and as vital as
ever.  I called him when bassist Jimmy Johnson died but I have not been in
touch with him nor heard anything of him since.

Will someone post some information on Bill, please.  What has he been doing
in recent years?

Jim Beebe