[Dixielandjazz] okom downunder.

Sam Meerkin/Evelyne Perks smeerkin at melbpc.org.au
Thu May 8 15:34:06 PDT 2003

Having spent a month or so enjoying and absorbing the culture of the DJML, I feel compelled to put in my 2 cents worth and tell you about what's going on in this neck of the woods.  I was one of the volunteers who helped start the Victorian Jazz Club 35 years ago and am at present a committee member.  This region has at least a dozen bands playing OKOM who are (IMHO), world class, not to mention many other unaffiliated musicians very able in OKOM.  I have a 2 hour, weekly radio program playing OKOM here in Melbourne and do my best to promote foot tapping music as distinct from the head banging variety.  Members of the Australia - wide family of appreciators of this kind of music are very sophisticated and known to each other due to that wonderful institution called The Australian Jazz Convention that happens in a different city or town each Xmas/New Year week every year.  I'm happy to answer questions and provide info. on  jazz activities for anyone coming to our part of the world and can hearily recommend the trip as affordable and safe.
Sam Meerkin.  smeerkin at melbpc.org.au
Check out our website.  www.victorianjazzclub.com