[Dixielandjazz] Studs Terkel and Barrett Deems

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Mon May 5 17:50:31 PDT 2003

Jimmy:
I recall a time in Indianapolis when we played a jazz fest there. Barrett
was with another group, and while we were on, he came up to Jean, who he
knew so well from JA]azz Ltd., and started talking -- as usual the first
words out were about who died or was divorced, or other tragedy of the
month. As usual, Barrett waved his hands around like a windmill.
A friend, not knowing Barrett or who he was, came over to protect Jean from
this seemingly mad man in case she needed it. I talked to Barrett later and
told him about the guy's concern. He laughed and said..."If I was some moron
trying to do something to Jean, I'd be in traction. I remember the night she
and Ruth Reinhardt tossed two very rowdy drunks out of  club without getting
winded...
and he thought I might be trouble...Ha!!"
As usual Barrett was windmilling with a pipe in his hand...and as expected
he dropped it in mid wind, breaking the stem. He did that at least one a
week at Jazz Ltd. He was Iwan Ries best customer. He didn't care -- always
$$ for a new one from the latest sale of all his six-month old Ziljian brass
after conning them into a free new set. The most charming little con artist
I ever knew. And a good, if frenetically-wired, friend.
Don Ingle