[Dixielandjazz] Natty Dominique

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Sun May 4 12:19:23 PDT 2003

Folks--
     In yesterday's mail i received two CD's that i forgot i had
ordered, always a pleasant kind of surprise.  I had ordered them as
part of the renewal of my membership in the San Francisco Traditional
Jazz Foundation. Both CD's are interesting, but for different reasons.
     The first is a peculiar little disk called _Holiday Rag_ by
Weldon Kees and Bob Helm (yes, _that_ Bob Helm)(Badger Press,
Pittsburgh PA, 1998)--Kees on piano and vocals, and Helm on clarinet,
washboard, and vocals.  Helm you know about, but Weldon Kees
(1914-1955?) was a poet in San Francisco who disappeared in 1955, his
car being discovered near the Golden Gate bridge. The CD consists of
Kees and Helm singing and playing rags and tunes for which Helm wrote
the music (mostly) and Kees wrote the lyrics.  (Kees is mentioned
extensively in Janet Richards' _Common Soldiers_.)  It ain't great
music, but it's fun, with songs like "Culture Vulture Lucy", "(I Want
to Move to) The House Next to Yours", "Mary Alice, Queen of the
Drums", "I Like a Picture with a Chase at the End", and "Television
Papa".
     The other CD, however, is a fine one: 'Pan' Pameijer's New Jazz
Wizards, _Remember Johnny Dodds, Vol. 1_ (Stomp Off CD1382, 2002),
with Jon-Erik Kellso (tr), Matthias Seuffert (cl), Jim Snyder (tbn),
Tom Saunders (tuba, string bass), David Boeddinghaus (pf), Martin
Wheatley (banjo, guitar), and Pam Pameijer (drums, washboard).  The
thing about this CD that piques my interest is the number of tunes by
Natty Dominique (who of course played for years with Johnny Dodds):
"Too Tight", "Lady Love", "Brush Stomp", "Sweet Lorraine", and "Sweep
'Em Clean".  These are some pretty good songs, and i hadn't known he
even wrote songs at all.
     But one aspect of his life intrigues me. There's an interesting
history of his life at http://www.midwayhistory.com/NattyD.html (a
website about Midway Airport in Chicago), which says (in part) that,

"Midway Airport has always been a magnet for characters, and one of
the most appealing during the 1940's was Natty Dominique. Redcaps
carried passengers luggage through the terminal, working for tips,
and with an engaging personality and a million stories, Dominique was
one of the best. However, being a redcap was not his first
profession; in fact Natty was a famous jazz musician, and even though
he did not work as a pilot at the airport, when he played his cornet,
he could fly with the best of them." "Natty would continue to play in
bands until a medical condition sidelined his career, forcing him to
seek work as a redcap at Chicago Municipal Airport in 1940."  "But
Natty couldn't stray too far from his music, and in the 1950's formed
the 'Natty Dominique's Creole Dance Band'. His band reached back to
the early days of New Orleans Jazz, playing the sound of Natty's
youth."  (Notes taken in part from _Natty Dominique's Creole Dance
Band American Music_, American Music Records AMCD-18, and _The Baby
Dodds Story_, as told to Larry Gara.)

     Did any of you folks who lived, played, and/or passed through
Chicago in the 1940's or 1950's ever run into him at the airport (or
elsewhere)? The study of jazz leads one into some amazing corners....

     Dan