[Dixielandjazz] Bob Wills Saxes (was western swing bands revisited)

JackleeT at aol.com JackleeT at aol.com
Sat May 3 20:21:34 PDT 2003

In a message dated 5/3/2003 3:13:53 PM Pacific Standard Time,
charliew8fim at ncool.net writes:

> Thanks to Phil O'Rourke and to Burt Wilson for identifying the hot tenor sax
> on "Back Home Again in Indiana"  as Ray DeGeer.   This is on a recently
> unearthed Vocalion 78 and has renewed my inerest in Wills lesser known
> sides.   I checked for Ray DeGeer in both volumes of Brian Rust but there
> was no listing.

Ray DeGeer played with Charlie Barnet's band in 1943 and '44, and recorded
with a small Charlie Ventura group in '45, neither with which he would have
soloed inasmuch as he also played tenor sax. I heard him with Johnny "Scat"
Davis's combo in '47 or '48. He was a good journeyman jazzman.

Jack Tracy