[Dixielandjazz] ATJS Concert May 4th, Tribute to Tommy Loy

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Sat May 3 17:11:52 PDT 2003

Folks--
     I almost forgot about this myself, so perhaps ATJS will not be
offended if i copy the announcement of tomorrow's concert from their
webpage at http://www.atjs.org/heads/25.htm

"May 4th Concert:
A Tribute to Tommy Loy

by Malcolm Rodman

The Society's May 4th concert at Donn's Depot will be an all-star
event, with the band fronted by two outstanding musicians: Reedman
Bob Krenkel, from Plano, TX, who alternates on clarinet, soprano sax
and the rarely heard bass sax and Cornetist Chet Jaeger, founder and
leader of Southern California's Night Blooming Jazzmen. Other
all-star bandsmen will be Max Lyon, trombone; Bob Alexius, string
bass; Morris Nelms, piano, and Budge Mabry, drums.

The concert will be dedicated to the late Tommy Loy, who had been
scheduled to return to play this concert when he died tragically of
cancer last year. Trumpeter Tommy Loy traveled to Austin yearly since
2000 to play for ATJS audiences. He will be remembered for his
energetic playing and singing as well as his wry wit.

Our concert will be a joyous celebration of his life by musicians who
played with him and audiences who admired his style."

     Dan