[Dixielandjazz] georg brunis

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Fri May 2 16:00:36 PDT 2003

I feel the same way when I pass the old Jazz Ltd. Club at 164 E. Grand --
now a Italian sub and pasta joint. I worked in the house band there from '63
to '68, along with Jim Beebe for one, Barrett Deems for another.
The 1111 Club, under the L on Brynn Mar, was one of my haunts in the 50's.
Cornetist Delbert Lincoln Aronson, or Del Lincoln, was a family friend and
lived in the same Apt. building in Chicago's North Side in the '30's when I
was a kid. Del was of Scandinavian origin but many bigoted idiots in Chicago
though his name sounded Jewish and there was some prejudice at work there,
so he changed it to Del Lincoln to avoid being shut out of work. Crazy, but
it was there.
Jug Berger worked with Georg on Clarinet was awhile. Pianist Mel Grant
filled in sometimes, but later worked mostly at Jazz Ltd at the first club,
11 E. Grand. Ralph Blank also worked it for awhile, but later was managing a
radio station and quit playing. He had been with the Weems Band at the same
time my Dad was on it in the later '30's
Danny Alvin worked with Joe Marsala a lot and with Marty Marsala. Used to do
these Italian accent gags all the time ..."Hey - what's a-that in the water?
A U Boat?
Naw, that's not-a my boat, it must-a be you boat!" Boom crash!
Fine drummer -- seldom mentioned any more. Pity.
Don Ingle