[Dixielandjazz] Wake up, DJML!

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Fri May 2 15:42:55 PDT 2003

Slight difference of opinion. I think Benny Goodman's solo on Red Nichols
Orch. 1929-30 "China Boy" the best in my view because of its intensive,
hard-driving, flow of inspired jazz from the heart. And he was barely out of
his teens as well. Not the smooth, almost classical tone of later BJ
recordings, this was the raw, fiery act of a genius in the making giving
definition to the word "HOT!"
But then, that's just one man's opinion-- so no need to have anyone hold our
coats.<G>
Don Ingle