[Dixielandjazz] Best Clarinet Solos (was: Wake up, DJML!)

Charlie Hooks charliehooks at earthlink.net
Fri May 2 10:37:19 PDT 2003

    I agree about Peanuts, but does anyone remember Clarence Hutchinrider's
solo on the Casa Loma recording of "Smoke Rings"?  Jim Beebe once had that
solo scored out for me, but I never could play it well.  There was some
trouble about the proper key--I don't recall what, but Beebe can tell you.

    Clarence was another old Waco, Texas, boy--several years before me.  Bye
the bye: when I was on Pee Wee Hunt's last band (I was "the kid" at 40 years
old), Pee Wee used to like getting a mite sloshed on Scotch (well, on
whatever was there) in my room and remembering old times on the Casa Loma.
He claimed (and we all pretended not to believe it, just to plague him) that
the Casa Loma trombone section could improvise 4 part harmony without ever
stepping on each other.

    I remember those nights, December of '72 over the New Year into January
of '73, Mike Vax, just off Kenton's band and learning for the first time to
play OKOM, giving Pee Wee good-natured grief about Pee Wee's dismissal of
many modern players; and Mike, whose room was next door to mine, setting up
playback equipment and illustrating his arguments with musical examples.

    I found there was more to Pee Wee Hunt than met the eye; but I also
learned there was a good deal to Mike Vax.  In less than a month he was
playing dixieland acceptably; and over the intervening years he has learned
to do it quite well.  Of course, Mike can do just about anything musically
that he sets his mind to.  My favorite memory of those early times is his
version of "Here's That Rainy Day": starting down in the lower depths with
the first eight, octave up on each succeeding eight, ending in to
stratosphere.  And played musically--not just show-out trumpet.

    Holy smoke!  How did I get from Clarence Hutchinrider to here?  Same way
I got from forty to seventy four, I suppose: just rambling on...

Charlie

on 5/1/03 11:44 PM, Don Gumpert at dongumpert at cox.net wrote:

> Funny, I saw no mention of Peanuts Hucko doing "Stealin' Apples"...
> Sandy Gumpert

"Basin Street Blues", Kenny Davern with The Dixie Rebels