[Dixielandjazz] AFM Pension Plan

Walker, Maurice maurice.walker at gwl.com
Fri Mar 14 09:15:43 PST 2003

This is a reply to Steve Barbone, who said:

>Interesting, now I am reminded to check 802 in NYC for my retirement
benefits from all those 802 gigs between 1949 and 1963. Wonder if any money
is there?
Cheers,
Steve Barbone

It also refers to Dave Hanson's note, where he said:

>Currently the AFM  Pension Fund has over 1.4 BILLION dollars in it. Let's
hope it's safe.
Dave Hanson
Trombonist
Atlanta

I do not pretend to be any kind of expert on this subject, but here's my
understanding.  Many people have paid in to the AFM Pension Fund over the
years.  Many fewer people have withdrawn from that same fund.  The Feds have
spotted the huge amount of money the union is sitting on and told them they
must find a way to distribute it.

A friend at my local has explained to me just this week that if I can
establish eligibility I can begin to draw on this account to an extent that
makes it worth pursuing.  (I think you have to have paid into it for a total
of five non-consecutive years, but once again: I am not the expert here.)

Here's the information he gave me.  To request your status with the pension
plan, send a request to:

AFM-EPF
One Penn Plaza
Suite 3115
NY, NY 10019-3115

Include the following information:

Social Security Number
Date of Birth
Marital Status
Phone Number
Confirm your affiliation with Local <xxx>
The letter MUST be signed

I'm sending this to the list at large, figuring there may be others
interested in this.  Go for it, and good luck.

Maurie Walker