[Dixielandjazz] Re: Lyrics--Dorsey's Marie

Bill Haesler bhaesler at nsw.bigpond.net.au
Fri Mar 14 10:14:06 PST 2003

Dear Pat,
Sheik promised to send the words behind the "Marie" vocal.
Perhaps he will post it to the list and save me the effort of finding them.
"(I'm) Living in a Great Big Way" (Jimmy McHugh-Dorothy Fields. 1935).
Included in the 1935, 72 minute long, film musical 'Hooray For Love' (where it
is featured by Fats Waller, p/v; Bojangles Robinson & Jeni Le Gon, v/dancing).
I have the full 8 minute soundtrack extract on a French Jazz Anthology CD and
Collectors Classics LP CC 12.
The scene depicts a young girl (and her piano) being evicted from a flat.
I can remember seeing the film clip on several occasions, the last, if I recall
correctly, on the History Channel biog of Bill Robinson.
Also recorded by 'Scott Wood and His Six Swingers' (London 13 Nov 1935).
As usual, more than you needed to know.
Kind regards,
Bill.