[Dixielandjazz] Playing on the Corner

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 11 23:14:53 PST 2003

Bill Gunter wrote: (polite snip)

"If you want to stand on the corner and blow your horn for coins in the
music  case from the passers by I may even stop and drop a coin. I'll
certainly give you my blessings for your dedication."

Amen Bill;

Last year while playing a paying gig on the street in Philadelphia, we
ran across a sax player doing just that. Had a 20 minute talk with him
on break. He played solo jazz on street corners in Philadelphia in
summer, and street corners in New Orleans in winter, for tips.

Said that when the weather was nice, he would make about $150 a day in 4
ot 5 hours of playing. More than most jazz musicians. Not a bad gig say
$750 net a week for 5 days at 5 hours a day. Very little overhead too.
(no taxes etc,)

Cheers.,
Steve Barbone