[Dixielandjazz] Promote Your Appearances

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 11 16:20:39 PST 2003

Following up on my post about playing in High Schools, here is a copy of
an email note I sent to the Music Department in the High School were our
concert occurs. Similar emails were sent to every High School and
College Music Department within a 35 mile radius. (Seven High Schools
and Six Colleges)
These names and addresses of Department heads, Chairs, etc., are readily
available via google.

Naturally, in the more rural areas, one might expand the mileage radius.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

Dear Dr.*******:

I am Steve Barbone, clarinetist and leader of the Barbone Street Jazz
Band. Unionville has a strong jazz program in place and I urge you to
let the students know about our appearance at Unionville HS, Friday,
March 28 from 8:00 PM to 9:30 PM. It is FREE, courtesy of The Hadley
Fund For The Arts.

Why come? Our members are living links to the jazz of the 1950s in the
USA. We average 65 years old and have played with some of the major
figures in Jazz during the 20th Century, including Lester Young, Ben
Webster, Billie Holiday, Clifford Brown, Coleman Hawkins, Roy Eldridge,
Sidney Bechet, Thelonius Monk, Peggy Lee, Louis Prima, Max Roach, Buddy
Rich, J.J. Johnson, Kai Winding, Mel Torme and others.

Not only that, but our trombonist, Glenn Dodson was Principal Trombone
with the Philadelphia Symphony Orchestra for 28 years, as well as a fine

jazz player who also performed with Al Hirt and Pete Fountain while
living in New Orleans and first trombonist for the New Orleans Symphony.

We are a unique six piece group. The music we play is melodic jazz, a
mixture of New Orleans, Dixieland, Swing. and Mainstream. It is popular
with the young musically inclined students. In our retirement, we do 160

jazz gigs a year within a 100 mile radius of Philadelphia, and have a
young audience as well as the old folks. We believe we swing more than
any jazz group in the Delaware Valley and as well as any band anywhere.

So, please come see us, (bring the students) FREE at Unionville High on
March 28. Or, come see us as headliners at the Berk's Jazz Festival in
Reading, along with the Dirty Dozen Jazz Band. That is, of course, a bit

more expensive at $30 a ticket, on Wednesday night, March 26, which
makes the Unionville appearance a bargain.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
clarinet / leader
Barbone Street Jazz Band
http://home.earthlink.net/~barbonestreet/

PS. We'll even play Ellington's C Jam Blues, and Thelonious Monk's
Hackensack for the Jazz Band students.