[Dixielandjazz] TIPS

Jazzjerry at aol.com Jazzjerry at aol.com
Sun Mar 9 14:53:09 PST 2003

In a message dated 7/3/03 7:37:03 PM, JimDBB at aol.com writes:

<< that is weird.  What does a club like Ronnie Scotts do for money to pay
for the expensive groups they bring in? >>

Hi Jim,

A 'public bar' as defined by the licencing laws in the UK has a very specific
meaning and is basically 'a room set aside for the sale and consumption of
intoxicating liquor' and such a room in a 'public house' must be open to the
public (i.e. everybody providing they are of the appropriate age) without any
reasonable restriction to buy what is on offer. The landlord can impose
certain restrictions and can refuse entry to unruly or drunk persons but even
ones like 'no shoes, no shirt, no service' could be contrary to the terms of
the licence although I do not believe they have been legally tested.

However many pubs, but not all, have a 'public bar' plus other rooms one of
which might be a 'function room' and specified as such on the licence. This
room is available for hire paid functions and other uses with the possibility
of restricted admission (e.g.private parties) providing the normal licensing
laws are complied with regarding under age or after hours drinking are
concerned.

Ronnie Scotts is not a 'public house' in law but a different type of
'licensed premises' to which different rules apply.

Don't worry this only starts to scratch at the surface of the wonders of the
British licensing law. When you get onto the subject of 'registered clubs',
'proprietory clubs', 'on' and 'off' licences then it starts to get a little
more complicated!

Also:

"I just paid for the meal, the sales tax and the added gratuity."

I should point out that the meal in the hotel where the gratutity was
automatically added to the bill was actually a buffet breakfast set up where
the actions of the very pleasant waiters were somewhat limited to the
provision of coffee! The rest we did ourselves!

Cheers,

Jerry,
Norwich,
U.K.