[Dixielandjazz] Playing for love, not money

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 9 09:56:45 PST 2003

Mike Marois wrote:

"Through the past few months I been working on a project and have found
some very interesting things out about booking gigs.  Recently I
discovered that some of the bigger jazz festivals in New Orleans the
groups not only make zero bread, they actually pay to play the
festivals.  Talk about kicking someone when they're down!"

List mates:

Amen to that.

Barbone Street was approached by a "jazz festival" in New Orleans, and a
"blues" festival in Memphis to play for what would amount to "break
even" finances. For the "exposure" they said. Both supposedly "major"
festivals.

Hey, producers out there, if it don't make money, you ain't doin it
right. We play for 6 jazz/music festivals within 90 miles of home base
every year and each one pays bands WELL plus expenses. And they treat us
musos like the professionals we are.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS. Exposure? Hey, we're always exposing ourselves ;-)