[Dixielandjazz] Tips [was: Albums for...]

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Fri Mar 7 14:33:31 PST 2003

At 01:51 PM 3/7/2003 -0500, JimDBB at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/7/03 11:01:11 AM Central Standard Time,
> russg at redshift.com writes:
>>
>> I feel the same way Steve Barbone does.  To be paid well for the music I
>> > deliver validates my work. I am proud of high fees and tips.  Just as I
>> > would be proud of being well paid as an engineer or businessman.
>> > Russ Guarino
>

>   Would you solicit tips as an engineer or a businessman?
>     Jim Beebe

Seems to me what's appropriate depends on the gig.

1. If one is paid a full-freight or close to it,  NO.
We opened or did promo events in a couple of supermarket chains for which we
were well paid. We were offered some tips and I refused them, saying that we
were delighted that they liked the music, but we were being well paid and the
music was for their enjoyment.

2. If one is in a club, on low pay, usually it would be YES, but I'd check with
management before putting out a tip jar. actually, I'd ask management to
include a tip jar in our contract. However, if we're being paid decently, it's
management's call.

3. We get a lot of gigs where the pay is borderline, eg. best customer parties,
events where the client is using the music to make money, and 2-hour noontime
tenant picnic concerts, etc. NO. The question has never arisen because no one
offers tips, just thumbs (or occasional middle finger) up...

--Sheik