[Dixielandjazz] TIPS

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 7 01:19:46 PST 2003

Well, a little different from what Jazz Jerry said. In any event glad to know
that I needn't offer to buy the band or a fellow player a drink because it
would be insulting. Now that would be gauche, to insult a fellow musician who
might be playing for next to nothing.

Glad also to hear that British musos are altruists. Actually, probably all jazz
musos play for love of the music. The money is merely a way of keeping score.
Most that I know feel that that they should be well compensated for what they
do.

That makes the tip jar very different from the "begging bowl" at which you
sniff. Actually, American audiences are very generous people and enjoy the
experience of showing it in that fashion.

I have found during my life, that generally, you get what you pay for. That
includes the quality of the music. Admittedly, as a choke . .  businessman and
. . choke , , American jazz musician. . I may be jaded, but that is my
experience.

Bessie Smith sang it beautifully about 75 years ago: "I Got What It Takes But
It Breaks My Heart To Give It Away."  And neither she, nor the greatest jazz
influence of the 20th century, Louis Armstrong, ever gave it away either. A pox
on them for being grubby beggars.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone