[Dixielandjazz] Tipping at Scholz's

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Mar 6 23:59:32 PST 2003

Tipping fans--
     In Austin's Wurst Band, we have anywhere from 10 to 35 players on
any given night, and the enlightened management of the Scholz Bier
Garten has for about 20 of our 25 years graciously provided free beer
for the band.  In fact, when the daughter of the manager was in
charge one night, she arbitrarily and capriciously decided we
wouldn't get free beer.  Our esteemed (sometimes just 'steamed')
leader, Mr. James H. Bryan of Alpha Music Center, succintly explained
to her, "No beer, no band."  We played.
     We play three sets in two hours and the waitress brings us a
meagre three or four pitchers per set (usually the weak American
swill, but that's OK), at something like $8.00 per pitcher.  Assuming
10 pitchers a night (well, maybe 15 sometimes), that's $80 to $120
retail (Scholz's actual cost, of course, is a small fraction of that).
     Scholz's gets two hours of exemplary German polkas, Sousa
(occasionally 'soused') marches, dixieland, popular songs, and "In
Heaven There Is No Beer", for a few measly bucks.  But what does the
waitress get who brings not only the beer, but iced tea, water, and
ice, in addition to waiting on the paying customers?  (I don't
particularly like that sentence-structure nor the diction, but the
hell with it.)
     Well, between the second and third sets i take up a collection
from the band of a dollar or two from anyone drinking beer.  I
usually wind up giving her $20 or $30 in tips, which we feel she
earned, even though we paid nothing for the beer or service.
     Now, does that make us professionals?  Ha.  Reminds me of what a
Pogo character said when someone asked him if a cartoonist was a
newspaper man: "Is a barnacle a ship?"

     Dan