[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 3, Issue 13

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 6 17:05:05 PST 2003

> Steve Barbone wrote:

> Actually, to request a tune from a band and not attempt to tip is gauche as I see it.

> Jim Beebe answered:

> Gauche?  I can only conclude that Steve Barbone operates in a different
> musical universe.  I never expected a tip for a request and I never worked
> with a bandleader who did.
>
> I never would have insulted Jack teagarden or any jazz great by offering a
> tip with a request.  A discrete tip jar is ok at a certain level where the
> guy s aren't making that much and I have to admit to shamelessly focusing
> attention on the tip jar on some of my gigs.

Jim & List mates:

Perhaps my thought was written badly. I would, and have asked the greats, eg. Goodman,, Hawkins, Pee Wee Russell, Pee Wee
Irwin, Condon, et al to play certain songs. I would not offer them money outright, but asked if I could buy them a drink,
or the band a drink. Usually the offer was accepted. That is what I meant by "tip" as one might apply it to the great's.
Also, as many of us know, Wild Bill Davison always accepted a drink

Even did so at the Palm Court in New Orleans with Greg Stafford and his band there. Greg accepted the drink offer for the
band and had the club add it to my tab. Whether they took the money or a drink, I can't say but they all came over and
thanked me for the "drink".

I just think it rude to ask someone who is working, at whatever it is they do, for a special task and not offer a drink,
or a tip as a show of gratitude. Likewise, I think it is just plain good manners to make the offer

Like Jim, our band does not expect to be tipped has no tip jar, and does not remotely solicit tips, but we are always
appreciative when it occurs.

List mate Jerry Gordon kindly offered to buy me a drink at our brewpub Mardi Gras gig the other night. It was a very nice
thing to do even though he made no song request. I accepted and had a beer, which the club may have  delivered on the
house. Either way Jerry's offer and the beer were very much appreciated by me.

Of course, I am not even remotely among the "greats", but I do appreciate gestures of good will and so do they as far as
I can tell.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone