Fw: [Dixielandjazz] Re: Mardi Gras "Bead Thing"

David Richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Wed Mar 5 18:03:41 PST 2003

Tom, (and all)

The "bead thing" is just a tiny part of the history of Mardi Gras in
New Orleans - one of the traditions of the parade "krews" and
"outriders" is to throw cheap bead necklaces into the crowds.  (by
cheap I mean they get them from China for about $5USD per hundred
thousand - there are more expensive "premium" beads, custom made
"Doubloons" and even hand painted coconuts for the Zulu parade.) People
get into quite a frenzy for these beads and trinkets - even the cheap
ones - and might expose their t*ts, @ss or other body parts as
enticement for bead throwers to give 'em some.  The bead thing has
spread to parties and festivals in other parts of the US and not just
at Mardi Gras, but New Orleans is still the focal point.

do a web search or go to places like
http://www.mardigrasneworleans.com/ for a more info.

Dr. John certainly has a lot to do with modern interpretations of New
Orleans culture and history - his "Big Bass Drum on Mardi Gras Day"
album with Chris Barber's Jazz and Blues Band hit a lot of the high
points of the celebration but there are many other musical styles and
sub-cultures. Check out the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage website for a
few lessons ;-)  http://www.nojazzfest.com

(BTW, my family roots are in rural Louisiana but I actually never have
been to New Orleans for Mardi Gras and I don't think I will ever WANT
to go there - it is way too crazy!  check out
http://www.lsue.edu/acadgate/mardmain.htm for what goes on in the
countryside during Mardi Gras - very different.)

As for the Yellow Dog Blues audience participation - I think that
started at some small town jazz festival in Northern California (not
Sacramento) in the last 20 years and it has spread to a large number of
audiences - be ready for it!

Dave Richoux