[Dixielandjazz] composers of Mecca Flat Blues

Dick Baker dickbkr at goon.org
Mon Mar 3 17:58:57 PST 2003

[John Farrell wrote:]
"As advised earlier, I have just posted a MIDI file of this tune on my
website. The idea for it came from Louis Mazetier's latest CD which he
kindly sent me, the liner notes state that the tune was written by Albert
Ammons.

"However here is a snippet from a message which just arrived : "Thanks for
your latest MIDI file of the classic 12 bar "Mecca Flat Blues".  However,
the Anderson Fake Book credits James Blythe, Steve Graham and Alexander
Robinson with the composition instead of Albert Ammons." Can anyone confirm
who in fact composed it?"

Blythe-Graham-Robinson is how we have it in the Stomp Off tune/composer
index, but I don't remember our sources.  I have nine recordings of it that
show composer credits (one by Ammons on the Joker label):  Four credit
Blythe alone; three credit Blythe-Graham-Robinson; and two credit
Blythe-Robinson.  Your old chum Charlie Booty is one who credits all three;
another is the Federal Jazz Commission, whose leader, Marty Frankel, is
extremely conscientious about such things.

--
   Dick Baker - Falls Church, Virginia, USA
               dickbkr at goon.org