[Dixielandjazz] a gig

Bill Biffle bbiffle at swcp.com
Sat Mar 1 23:45:35 PST 2003

I know many of my listmates play in bands that play several nights a week - and have done so for many years.  But, please indulge a "comeback" player in a little post about a great success.

I didn't play trumpet for 35 years.  I did other stuff - musical stuff in the interim -  but I didn't play trumpet for 35 years.

Tonight, I played a gig.  A real gig.  In a real band.  With real patrons, real dancers, real fans.

This summer, I cajoled six other guys into playing Dixieland jazz with me.  We went through five or six personnel changes, but finally got seven folks - including me - to agree to play a Mardi Gras gig tonight at the local country club.

I was privileged to have a clarinet player and a trombone player who've been around a while and who can really play.  The rhythm section and I am a little less experienced.   At any rate, we put three sets together and tonight we played a gig.

The folks danced, the folks sang, the folks clapped their hands.  The folks loved it.  They clamored for more.  The management wants us back.

It's a great life!  I'm in heaven. Thanks for letting me share.

Bill Biffle
Trumpet & Leader
The Duke City Dixieland Jazz Band
Albuquerque, New Mexico

PS: And - guess what?  We got paid.  Go figure!