[Dixielandjazz] Another Bio from a Lurker !

Doug Burnley cornet1 at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 30 21:00:01 PDT 2003

 Hi List mates

   I'm yet another lurker on DJML, have been for a few years - this is a great source of information and I particularly enjoy the anecdotes from the likes of Jim Bebee, Don Ingle etc., as well as hearing of the success of Steve Barbone in appealing to the younger crowd.

   I was born in Woodstock, Ont Canada in 1938, took up the trumpet at 11 yrs old, despite the bandmasters warning that I would never be able to play it because of the "Terry Thomas" like space between my front teeth I'm still playing at 64, so I guess I fooled him  eh.

   My interest in jazz began about a year later Louis Armstrong had a hit with a tune called "I Get Ideas", which I remember playing in front of all my grade 6 classmates (my first public performance - LOL). From that time on I was hooked and spent most Saturday afternoons at the local record store in the sound booth (remember them) listening  to Fats, Wild Bill, George Girard, Bob Scobey etc.

    I currently play with the "Riverside Dixieland Jazz Band" in South Florida with fellow listmates Harry Epp & Marv Rosenthal.

     I have always been a part time player, preferring a more stable career for my livelyhood - I spent 7 yrs in the Canadian Army, the next 25 in the computer profession (operator, supervisor, project mgr & mgr data centre), then for a few years opened a custom wood working shop, designing and building quality pieces from solid pine, oak, cherry etc.- at the present time I  am semi-retired doing  some house painting, web design and playing with the "Riverside".

     A more complete bio, information about the band and about our jazz society - "HAGS" (founded by listmate Will Connelly) can be found at my website:

       http://riversidejazz.com/jazzer1.html

Doug Burnley - Cornet Riverside Dixieland Jazz Band