[Dixielandjazz] Re:eyes of texas, etc

Richard Broadie richard.broadie at gte.net
Mon Jun 30 17:04:16 PDT 2003

Would enjoy playing Deep in the heart of Texas on a dixieland gig.  This one
was at Shelley's Mannehole in Hollywood circa 1965 where our bop oriented
audience would not have likely enjoyed the tune, especially since that
particular Texan was very obnoxious in the manner he was demanding his tune
as if to demonstrate that our quintet would do anything for $100.  We felt
that the event was intended as a put down for the band as well as to our
other customers.

These days, I'm far less "hip" and am happy to play anything the customers
want to  hear.  May try out Deep in the Heart of Texas this coming Fri nite
at my American Legion Jam Session.  Those folks would love it!  Dick