[Dixielandjazz] Notation question

Dave Gravatt dave at creolejazz.com
Sun Jun 29 22:53:21 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ken Gates" <keng at iswest.com>
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Notation question

> Please forgive a naive question.  I'm still in the process of learning
> some basics.
> I'm assuming the /F# means to use that note of the chord as the bass note.
> Likewise-- /G  to use the G as the bass note.
> The bass line of these five chords then might be --Eb  E   F   F#  G
> --------------------------
> My question---Is this only important to the bass player---or maybe
> the piano player?   Who pays any attention to this?
> Ken Gates

It's a good question. The answer is, it's important to everyone (or should
be). Yes, the "/x" means x is the note in the bass. A good player (of any
instrument) will decide what note he plays during a given chord based on,
among other things, what the other players are playing. Any hint as to what
the bass might play is a good hint. There are other reasons too, but I'd put
the "/x" in everyone's part.

Dave
The Creole Dixieland Jazz Band
"It's a treat to beat your feet"