[Dixielandjazz] That Da Da Strain

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Sun Jun 29 21:22:52 PDT 2003

Bill and others--
     See below.  Is this it?
Dan
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 10:50:09 +1000
From: "Bill Haesler" <bhaesler at nsw.bigpond.net.au>
To: jazzfact <jazzfact at ozemail.com.au>
cc: dixieland jazz mail list <dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com>
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Re: Meaning of " Dada"

Dear Richard,
The thought occurred to me that the clue to the meaning of "That Da Da Strain"
may be contained in the lyrics.
I have it on disc by Anna Meyers, Mamie Smith, Eva Taylor and Ethel Waters.
Here goes (taken from the Anna Meyers version):

"That Da Da Strain" (Mamie Medina, lyr-Edgar Dowell, music. 1922.)
(verse)
Have you heard it, have you heard it, that new Da Da Strain?
It will shake you, it will make you really go insane.
Everybody's full of pep,
Makes you watch your every step.
Every dancer, every prancer, starts to lay 'em down,
When the music starts to play it makes you buzz around
And I'll go crazy as a loon,
When everybody hums this tune:

(chorus)
Da-Da, Da-Da, Da-Da, Da-Da,
It's so appealing, starts me reeling;
Like I'm sailing upon the Bounty Main.
When everybody starts to
Da-Da, Da-Da,
Da-Da, Da-Da,
I want to do it once again, I'm simply
Wild about that Da-Da, Da-Da Strain!.

The Mamie Smith and Eva Taylor versions are the same, but both include
variations the 2nd time around, as does Ethel Waters.

Any wiser?
Me neither!
Just kidding    8>)
Kind regards,