[Dixielandjazz] Bio

Bill Munoz munoz.randyandbill at verizon.net
Sat Jun 28 21:29:53 PDT 2003

Hi gang...I'm another lurker on DJML who hung up his horn several years ago
when the pickers were the only ones working. Became interested in OKOM about
20 years ago when the High Sierra started playing here regularly in Santa
Maria and in Pismo Beach.From then on, we were hooked!

Took up reeds in the fourth grade and plalyed the usual school bands and
orchestra, etc. In HS I began playing in local big bands. After joining the
Navy in 1942, I attended radio school in San Diego, later going to sea for
several months. In 1944 I transferred to the Navy electronics school in
Chicago, which was located in the State-Lake building in the Loop. It was in
this school that I met Alvino Rey, who was also going to the school. He had
his library sent out to him and formed a big band.. We played the Orpheum
and several clubs around town. Of course, he had the King Sisters do their
bit also with the band. While in Chicago, I was fortunated to catch some of
the greats; Red Allen. Ben Webster, J.C. Higgingbotham, etc.

After the war, I returned home and played several gigs with small local
bands, including working with Jerry Fuller. His future father-in-law, Les
Hayes, tutored us both on reeds. When the jobs slowed down, I laid my horns
down and took up the piano. In retrospect, I should have kept the chops up,
even with arthritic fingers!

Back to lurking...

Bill Munoz
Amateur Radio Station W6HYA