[Dixielandjazz] And God Help the artist that only had ONE big Hit

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Sat Jun 28 20:10:04 PDT 2003

Re Tom Wiggins' comment:

>And God Help the artist that only had ONE big Hit, although it will make
them a living for the rest of their lives, they will bore themselves to
heavy drink or worse and may never find another hit for twenty years or more
or even never.   When this happens they are quickly relegated to playing
OLDIES shows where they trot out all the one hit wonders that were created
by the record companies in an attempt to make a concert of former stars.

I'm reminded of Gene Lees' story about asking Tony Bennett how it felt to
sing" I Left My Heart in San Francisco" night after night.  Lees commented
that he felt that Bennett didn't understand the question.

Norman Vickers
Pensacola