[Dixielandjazz] Playing the same thing over and over

Richard Broadie richard.broadie at gte.net
Sat Jun 28 11:54:32 PDT 2003

Does anyone remember Glen Gray's "No Name Jive?"   It was originally a "head
arrangement" that got out of control.  It finally reached the point,
according to the story, that the band had to by a stock arrangement of their
tune to figure out what the original melody line was.  The dynamics of the
head arrangement is a corollary of  Tom's analysis re: boredom on playing
the same songs night after night, exactly the same way.  I have considerably
less experience playing with big bands, but grow very weary of playing
things exactly the same way.  Fortunately, on piano, I ususlly have changes
to guide me so I can play them differently in every performance.  I'd hate
to get stuck on the horn parts where very little flexability may exist save
the ad lih solos that are sometimes allowed.

I agree that communicating with the audience is essential.  Sometimes, when
we hardly have an audience, it's enjoyable to stretch out as to entertain
our fellow musicians on the stand.  It may not feed your family but it sure
can be fun.  Perhaps you might even educate your audience to a higher level
of music.  It this possible?  Dick