[Dixielandjazz] Winging solos

Richard Broadie richard.broadie at gte.net
Sat Jun 28 11:38:29 PDT 2003

When on piano I play better if I sing along with my improvised lines.  Also
do this on bass solos ala Slam Stewart.  Haven't figured how to do this on
reeds so I feel that they're my weakest instruments on improvising.  I'm
always frustrated, being self taught, that I can't ever quite get up to
speed with the ideas I hear in my head.  Maybe if I'd try practicing some
day.  ????   Naw, I like to get paid when I play.   When I practice on a
given instrument two things seem to happen.  1. I never get a call to work
on that instrument.  2. If I do get a call and my chops are up, I tend to
try to please my fellow musicians, sometimes at the expense of my audience
who can't necessarily follow my ideas.   It's ironic that when I've been off
an instrument for a few months and then get a gig, I play with greater
simplicity, and consequently am better received by my audience.  Maybe
there's a lesson there for me to learn.  Oh well, when I grow up.......
:-)   Dick