[Dixielandjazz] Music and Mathematics

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Sat Jun 28 14:27:44 PDT 2003

Indeed a wonderfully written article for that certain elite group of musical theorists and critics who often look for fodder to disagree with them and stimulate lengthy discussions on the Einstien theories of Relativity and such, which I suppose if analized mathematically at some length would actually make sense to some folks.

But I don't think Louis did it that way nor Jelly Roll, or Art Tatum, or Bix, or countless other great musical geniuses of our lifetime.

Some folks Play music and some write about it or teach others how to play it and every once in awhile the theory and the math add up and 1 plus 1 = 2 and becomes the whole of the sum, however it must be noted that it is still 2 beats short so we must remember to not stop there, unless of course you are a two beat player.  Now that brings up another important theoretical question?  Did all Banjoists fail Math? :)

Now if I could just figure out how to balance my checkbook!

Perhaps making a deposit would do it humm!   But I can't be out of money I still have all these checks.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins
Saint Gabriel's Celestial Brass Band
(10 guys who have trouble counting to four repeatedly)