[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 6, Issue 49

Charlie Hooks charliehooks at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 27 23:56:05 PDT 2003

on 6/26/03 11:40 PM, TCASHWIGG at aol.com at TCASHWIGG at aol.com wrote:

  But what the Hell do I know I'm a drummer certainly not a real Musician.
Tee hee :)   If there ain't no melody it just goes round in circles (Billy
Preston).  The melody takes the song in the destined direction and hopefully
the whole band goes in the same direction and ends up at the same
destination, with each soloist getting the opportunity to color the tune
with his own voice and interpretation.

Tom Wiggins
St. Gabriel's Celestial Brass band

Well, Tom:

   God bless, and keep on truckin'!  There are drummers out there who can
see through it all:  Rusty  Jones (formerly with George Shearing and Marion
McPartland and with me)  who are goddam geniuess at knowing what to play
behind you)  and guys like Charlie Brougham who know what to play in front
of you--before you know it yourselff!   Brougham knows where you are going.
He knows this before you do.  I do not understand this, but I know it
happens.  So screw him!

   Please do not misunderstand me: I adore Rusty and Charlie both: