[Dixielandjazz] OKOM and Sharkey Bonano

Berry Zand Scholten bzssvs at wxs.nl
Fri Jun 27 11:27:28 PDT 2003

Enkhuizen (The Netherlands), Friday,  June 27th 2003,

Dear Listfriends,

I received an overwhelming cascade of reactions on my request to supply me with some information about 'Sharkey Bonano', a very special bluessong ('I ain't gonna give nobody none o'this jelly roll'....) and the meaning of the abbreviation 'OKOM'.

Thank you all.

It's quite an experience for me to see how many people still dig 'Our Kind of Music' that much.

Old friends and collegues reacted as well, which I highly appreciated. (Hope to hear you soon again, Cees van den Heuvel !!!!)

(And those who are interested in very happy, superb swinging jazz from Holland: whenever you can....listen to the two anniversary CD's of drummer Huub Janssen and his Amazing Jazzband, featuring Cees van den Heuvel on trumpet and hear him sing his very special version of 'Sugar')

The most accurate information for me came from Roger Wade in Natick (Maine) : 'The song was performed by Lizzie Miles. De record is a 10-inch LP from Sjakey and his Kings of Dizieland, entitled: 'Midnight on Bourbon Street'.

Exactly !  I can now reporoduce all those wonderful memories again. Thanks a lot, Roger. As a matter of fact: we visited your beautiful state last year, when my wife, daughter and I made an 3 1/2 weeks-RV-trip, which we started in Boston,  and continued via NH, Maine, Vermont, Canada, Minnesota, crossed North and South Dakota and ended in Denver, Colorado. (My wife wanted to go to Bangor, where Stephen King lives). I was more intrigued by all those wonderful lighthouses on the eastcoast and especially in Maine. We did'nt hear too much 'OKOM' during this trip.  A pity ! Maybe we did not visit the right places, did not read the right papers or listen to the right radiostations.  Next year we hope to visit the so called 'Music Cities of the South'  onze again (Nashville, Memphis and - of course - New Orleans).

Anyhow.....you all helped me out with your kind answer to my burning questions. So, thank you very much again.

Best wishes,

Berry Zand Scholten
bzssvs at wxs.nl