[Dixielandjazz] FW: Bill Bacin

Bill Haesler bhaesler at nsw.bigpond.net.au
Fri Jun 27 09:43:26 PDT 2003

Dear Bob and friends,
This was posted to the DJML on 15 Jan 2001.
Bill came to Australia on several occasions and became a dear mate.
A real jazz character and one I will remember forever.
Or until 'oldtimers' gets me.
Kind regards,
Bill.
PS: I was a contributor to the billboard fund mention below. He got a great kick
out of it.
PPS: There should be a few Bacin stories in the DJML 'archives' which were
posted at this time.
I kept some of them.

BILL BACIN

Bill Bacin, founder of the New Orleans Jazz Club of California (NOJCC), died on
January 13, 2001 at his home in Kerrville, Texas after a short illness.

The NOJCC was intended as a club that would never meet.  Rather, through The
Jazzologist,  it would promote live paid jazz.  Bill published The Jazzologist,
a quarterly  publication, for 20 years.  Upon it's retirement 120 of his friends
purchased  the largest  size billboard available along Bill's favorite route in
Kerrville.  It said:
STOV FOR NOJCC
DYKWIMTM BILL BACIN

It was written up in the Kerrville  Daily Times.   They reported  the largest
sales  in  the history of the paper.  Bill had purchased 120 to send
"Thankyou's" to  his  friends.

 He covered jazz festivals throughout the U.S. as well as in several other
countries, promoting the jazz as well as the musicians.

Bill was a judge in 1986 at the Sacramento Dixieland Jubilee when an All Star
Band was picked.

A quote from The Jazzologist when Bill wrote about the loss of a musician or
friend of jazz....
G'nite Bill

Joe & Carole Wells