[Dixielandjazz] Goldenrod Showboat Memories

G. William Oakley gwilliamoakley at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 26 13:38:11 PDT 2003

I have no idea.  When I first joined the list there were occasional rants
about Ernie but as to where he is or what he is doing,  I don't know.  My
recollections of Ernie, aside from his playing,  were the complex and
involved practical jokes he was always trying to perpetrate on someone
during the festival.  Unfortunately they always seemed to need my
complicity.  One of my favorites was the time we had Dan Comins of the South
Frisco JB attacked during a performance by jazz crazed groupies.  We
organized the girls and suggested that it would really be funny if they
removed Dan's pants as part of their adulation.  They attacked mid-number
and started to remove Dan's trousers when one of them heard Dan say, "I'm
not wearing any underwear."  Cooler heads prevailed and they restored Dan's
pants.  During this whole mad scene the band continued as if nothing unusual
was happening and other than a brief double-take from Leon Oakley no one
notice Dan's predicament. Perhaps They had seen the response of groupies
before with Dan.
Ah,  the good old days.
Best,
Bill