[Dixielandjazz] Improvise redux

Deby Lee dlee at image-entertainment.com
Thu Jun 26 11:38:21 PDT 2003

When it comes to improvisation, the only time I ever had any success was
when I mixed Summertime from Porgy and Bess into the middle of St. Louis
Blues.  Both songs were played in e flat, so it wasn't such a stretch for
me.  My poor classically trained brain just couldn't get the hang of play
with your ear, not your brain when it came to the improvising, so I just
stuck with some extra notes in the melody line.  One of these days, I'm sure
the improv will just click, and it will be like a light coming on,  but
until then, I think I'll just sit back, listen to others, and just enjoy it.

Deby