[Dixielandjazz] bio--Charles Suhor

JimDBB at aol.com JimDBB at aol.com
Wed Jun 25 23:16:30 PDT 2003

In a message dated 6/25/2003 3:20:55 PM Central Standard Time,
csuhor at zebra.net writes:

> I still do those programs plus a few others in semi-retirement in
> Montgomery, Alabama. My first retirement project in 1997 was a book called
> JAZZ IN NEW ORLEANS: THE POSTWAR YEARS that tried to set the record
> straight on the much-neglected post-WWII years of my youth. Scarecrow
> Press/Rutgers Jazz Institute published it in  2001. It has done well, with
> only one critic, a jazz purist, slamming it because of my praise for some
> of the Dixieland and traditional New Orleans Jazz artists (especially,
> Sharkey Bonano and Papa Celestin) who sparked the local revival in the late
> forties. You can't win 'em all.

  Amen, Charles Suhor.  Thank god for your interest in Sharkey Bonano, Papa
Celestin and the others who contributed so much great music to the late 40s-50s
New Orleans-Dixieland Jazz revival.  Those bands and their wonderrful
recordings turned me first into a young believer. and from there into a life long
believer. (* I recently heard some of those long ago records by Sharkey and they
sounded just great). I don't believe that Sharkey, Celestin, Armand Hug,
Lester Bouchon, Monk Hazel and so many others have really been artististically
recognized for what they added to the evolving jazz scene.

 I will look for your book

Jim Beebe