[Dixielandjazz] RE: [Burt Wilson's Bio--Chapter 2]

david richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Wed Jun 25 13:41:03 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, Jun 25, 2003, at 11:18 US/Pacific, Burt Wilson wrote:

> Later, I was in Dutch's Gashouse Gang, a show band that played three
> nights
> a week. In the band were Al Smith (his first gig) on trumpet, Barry
> Durkee,
> banjo, Dutch Deutsch, or course, Dave Beeman (whow we nicknamed "Capt.
> Showbiz" and Bill Richards. I called it the "Leader Band" because so
> many
> people--all of the above--went on to lead their own bands.

I have an old LP of "The Gashouse Gang Set One" recorded by Tony Rose
Studio of San Jose with Loren Hamlin (bj) Frank Price (dr) Big Al (no
instrument listed) Rex Moyer (tb,tr) Dick Flint (reeds & tr) John Moore
(tu) Mike Hermosillo (cr, v-tb) and Bob Bell (p)  referencing Big Al's
Gashouse in Palo Alto, CA, 1961.  Is this the same band at a different
time or a coincidence?

(BTW, this record is most definitely what I would call Dixieland - not
Traditional Jazz)

I am told that there were quite a few bands that played in the Palo
Alto area in the early 60's but as far as I know only Slim Hood and the
La Honda Bandits survived to the early-mid 70's revival with such bands
as Euphoria, Prof. Plum, Churchill St. and Magnolia bands playing the
local scene. Some of my first gigs with the Los Trancos Woods
Irregulars Jazz Band were at  bars called "The Bucket" and "Antonio's
Nut House." The Nut House is still around but the Bucket is long gone...

One other band I want to know more about is the San Francisco Marching,
Trotting and Walking Band - I think there was an association with "Your
Father's Mustache" in the late 50's-early 60's and they recorded on
Fantasy but I don't know much more than what is on the record jacket.

Anybody remember?
Dave Richoux