[Dixielandjazz] Peanuts Hucko RIP

Jim Denham james at jiming.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 25 01:21:21 PDT 2003

Dear listmates,

I've been a bit slack about checking my messages lately, and have
deleted a lot "en block". So I may have missed your comments upon the
death of Peanuts Hucko.

But I read the obit in yesterday's (UK) "Guardian" and was surprised not
to see anything on his list.

A great player, and much more than a "Goodman clone" - the simplistic
term he is often dismissed with. His playing with Louis, Condon, and
various big-bands established him as a distinct solo voice:
straight-ahead and swinging, and with a unique sound.

He deserves to be remembered as one of the great clarinettists

Jim Denham
--
Jim Denham