[Dixielandjazz] Bio For Jazzman Joe........The Long Version...........

JazzMnJoe at aol.com JazzMnJoe at aol.com
Tue Jun 24 04:06:57 PDT 2003

Born in Passaic,N.J. 1934.....raised in Salem,Beverly & Beverly Farms,Ma.
While in High school participated in a family band,me on tenor sax,dad on alto
and clarinet,brother on trombone,sister on drums and mom on piano....Steve
Lynch's Big Five.....One day mom over heard a lady checking out at the grocery
store register the clerk asked how the lady was enjoying her summer residence in
Beverly Farms.Oh its been wonderful we love to keep our windows open and
someone in the neighborhood has parties every sunday and they hire a band
........and they are very GOOD..........This is the best I can say about our musical
expertise......our Sunday pratices generally went down hill after dad's third
manhattan......and some of mom's martini's......we did enjoy a lot of laughs
though.........
.Attended Boston University Jr College from 53-54 met Father Norman O'Connor
known as the jazz priest back in those days also had by now met
J.C.Higginbotham performing at Sandy's Lounge in Beverly,Ma. Also saw Louis Armstrong live
in Symphony Hall in Boston.Was in Braves Field in Boston for a game the night
"Babe Ruth" died.........Met Marian McPartland who performed for our Jazz
Society at St.Anselm College in Manchester where I graduated in 1958 w/BA-History.
Worked in Long Island prior to marriage to an Irish coleen in June of 1959.
Sold Photolamp products.......who can remember flashbulbs........Press
25.......and AG-1.......Transferred to Worcester,Ma as salesman for Nestle's sold
Crunch Bars some with worms and most without.....Collection of Lp's had grown by
this time to several hundred.....Saw Ella Fitz on an off night at Hampton
Beach,NH. Saw Nat King Cole on a better one.....Also danced to Benny Goodman's Band
at College Senior prom,.Loved Guy Lombardo's band especially after having
lived in Freeport, LI. for two years. Started with the old Champion Lamp works of
Lynn, Ma in 1962.....sold incandescent,fluorescent lighting till being
transferred by them to Sterling, Ill in 1965.
Family additions daughter and My three sons......two others didn't
survive........Spent a lot of time on the road with coverage of Northern Indiana,Half of
Illinois, Iowa and Nebraska......transferred again in 1970 to Ankeny,Iowa
survived through two leveraged company buyouts.....until 1973 then worked for
Midland Ross Electrical Products Div till 1987 covering Iowa and
Nebraska......Managed to visit New Orleans in 1972 saw Al Hirt and Pete Fountain the PHJB and
Pat OBrien's made friends with the "Hurricane Cocktail" Brought an empty
suitcase which I filled up with LP's for the trip back to Iowa. Collection was now
close to 1000lp's with a few hundred cassettes.Learned about the Bix Jazz
Festival and have attended over thirty of them,Also attended the old central City
Co., jazz fests,  Rawhide in Phoenix,Cedar Basin, Clear Lake, LaCrosse,and
more recently two in Sacramento and one in San Diego. Retired in fall of 1996
however my dear Ann died in early 1997..taken by Cancer. 38 years of
marriage.......Four great kids all with degrees and then some...Two
grandchildren......Learned about the DJML and have enjoyed lurking and sometimes writing......Enjoy
video taping festivals and sharing the video's with the band
leaders.......such as Trevor Rippingdale, Phil Crumley, Ray Heitger, Marty Frankel,Bill Allred,
Gene Mayl, Barbary Coast Band,St.LouisStompers, and a host of others.....Gave
a copy to the daughter of the late Tommy Yetta on his final performance at
the Bix Fest in 2002.....she was thrilled.......Tape for the Bix Society..
every year...........Now keep busy with volunteer work for Lutheran social
Services as a "Senior Companion" and also help at an adult day care
center........ Getting ready for the Cedar Basin JazzFestival on June 27-29  the Doc Evans
Festival on July 5th and the Bix on July 24-27 then the Goodtime JazzConcert
in Altoona Iowa featuring the New Wolverines Jazz Orchestra from Sydney,Au
........Best wishes to all my friends whom ever wherever they may
be..........Jazzman joe