[Dixielandjazz] Fw: "Jazz Radio" gripe

Rob McCallum rakmccallum at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 24 01:28:01 PDT 2003

Hi Stan and everyone,

I agree that it's important to provide information about what's being played
and certainly the best d.j.s have a persona and rapport with their
listeners.  I would guess that's almost an art form unto itself.  I've also
heard some d.js who banter on so long that I find myself talking to my radio
telling him to play the next tune!!  That reminds me of a club show I
attended a couple of years ago that had a house band featuring a ragtime
pianist who specialized in unearthing obscure rags and playing them for the
public.  Well, the house band (after starting late) played a full set
themselves before bringing in and introducing this pianist.  I kid you not,
the guy who introduced her (himself a well known player - though not for
ragtime) took almost a half an hour to introduce this person (I know because
I kept looking at my watch).  The intro was almost like an intro to Early
Jazz 101 lecture and the crowd (it was a small packed place) was just going
stir crazy.  Then the pianist played 3 or 4 short rags and everyone took a
break!!  Certainly in this case the guy doing the introductions was
preaching to the choir anyway, when everyone just wanted to hear the music.

All the best,
Rob McCallum