[Dixielandjazz] Steve Barbone Bio

Charlie Hooks charliehooks at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 23 23:18:21 PDT 2003

on 6/23/03 8:16 PM, Stephen Barbone at barbonestreet at earthlink.net wrote:

 I do expect we will all have a lot of fun at this gig.

   And I expect that you expect right!

   Nuns these days, even the "modern" ones that make me blink a bit, are
really good people and as level-headed a bunch of women as you are going to
find.   Don't believe for an instant the Hollywood version: nuns as
frustrated frigidees.   If you believe that, then you'll go for Hollywood's
version of jazz musicians: half-witted dopers and boozers who are all headed
for skid-row.

   Well, come to think of it, maybe that's not too far off.

    But we like to think that some of us have brains.  Nuns think so, too.
And they have.  Trust me!  I know a great many of them.

read any book by Kathleen Norris,
Charlie

   P.S.  Steve: try the Church again in these modern days: I think, truly,
that you would fit right in and be happy there.  There've been lots of
changes, man, most of which you'd probably approve.  My younger people in
St. Luke parish are just as pissed off and yellie-screamie as you are--maybe
more.  But they are still in  there, twisting arms and kicking ass to bring
about the Church they envision.

   Truth is, I can't help admiring them more than a little, even as I
disagree.

Charlie