[Dixielandjazz] Transition from Ragtime to Improvised Piano Style

Eli Newberger newberge at massmed.org
Sat Jun 21 16:13:11 PDT 2003

Dear List:

Originally published in the Journal of Jazz Studies, my article on this
subject is now uploaded to my website.  You can read it if you wish at
http://www.elinewberger.com/articles/trans_to_improv/index.html

The analysis compares 16-measure transcriptions of the second strain of
"Maple Leaf Rag" by Scott Joplin (his MS with his recording), Brun
Campbell, Eubie Blake,
Jelly Roll Morton ("St. Louis" and "Correct" versions), James P.
Johnson, and Willie "The Lion" Smith.

Feel free to circulate it to anyone who might find it useful.

Kind regards,

Eli Newberger