[Dixielandjazz] bios

Jazzjerry at aol.com Jazzjerry at aol.com
Mon Jun 23 18:13:37 PDT 2003

This is fun!

Just turned 60 and retired 7 years ago after 30 years in the local
Constabulary. For the past nine years (okay I did two things at once for a while!) I
have been the sole proprietor and staff of 'Jazz 'n' Blues Records' which I
bought in 1994 from the widow of the previous owner.

My interest in jazz goes back to the early 1960s when I started listening
during the British trad boom (live jazz in Norwich 7 nights a week and often a
choice of venues on any particular night). I then developed an ambition to own a
jazz record store which would make available all those records that I
couldn't buy in the local shops. It took quite a long time to achieve that but now my
little mail order set up has customers all over the world and I do my best to
provide a friendly and fairly knowledgeable service. I produce a monthly
Newsletter with listings of new CD releases of all sorts of jazz and blues (and
nostalgia) which I send out either in the mail on the payment of a nominal
subscription or as an email attachment.

Musically illiterate I cannot even play a comb and paper in tune although I
did once play the bass drum in the Wisbech Sea Cadets band (I was the biggest
Sea Cadet and the least likely to be blown over in a gust of cross wind!) my
tastes in jazz can be best classified as more or less anything which has a
melody and swings. Some so-called jazz, although I sell it, I would not personally
classify as music.

Cheers,

Jerry,
Norwich,